Monday, September 8, 2008

2/9/08 I traveled to Brewarrina NSW to document and photograph NSW Records , who where holding an exhibition with photographs at the Cultural Centre. This exhibition is on show for the next month and it coincided with the re-opening of the cultural center.
NSW records are traveling through out NSW to exhibit and return the material to the poeple. Bre was there next stop and these Iamges dated back as early as the 1900's and one elder went as far as saying.
"These images engage you, and I felt a presence when looking at photo's of my family members.
I feel there is a family renunion going on when I engage the photo's".
Wow engage, he made me think more about photographs and my photography work and that there is a whole new level when dealing with photographs

Mervyn Bishop who is originaly from Bre, was aslo traveling with NSW records to document this event. This was a great privilage to meet Mervyn, and he took an interest in what I was doing as I have studied and researched his work before.
As you can imagine these images are a part of Australian History and tell great stories of it's past.
More poeple need to be educated with these images and hopefully educations institutes such as CIT's photographic departments can pass these stories on.

"Gurramin Mamarrapa" meaning "Shadow Catcher" After many visit's to Bre, an elder told me a meaning of being a photographer in language. 

No comments: